You deployed the most capable LMS platform (*cough* eFront *cough*). You have written the finest course material, crafted the best exercises, and organized them to perfection. You are finally ready to take your live, but could there be anything missing?
Throughout last year we worked with an important Canadian customer on a transition project. The client was using SumTotal as its backbone LMS and was in need of a comprehensive and efficient alternative solution. After an exhaustive research process, the client chose eFront.
In this post I will describe the business needs that made it imperative for the client to make the transition, and why eFront was chosen. I will also describe the project and its challenges.
Why change from SumTotal
The decision to move away from SumTotal was not an easy one. SumTotal is one of the leaders in the LMS space for numeral reasons. Its products can be found in almost any vertical industry, spanning from mining to health.
Still, SumTotal produced a number of headaches for the customer which I will outline Continue reading
We are often asked about how learning technologies, such as the eFront LMS, can be applied in the workplace so we recently put together a series of blog posts to explain the concept:
- Part I: Customer service: Offering customer service training to employees has been shown to drive sales and give businesses a strong competitive advantage. This is why it is imperative that businesses invest in quality programs.
- Part II: Sales training: Good sales training courses can lead to an increase in activity levels; sales volumes and order size; improved sales force retention, employee motivation and engagement and a greater receptiveness to change.
- Part III: Safety training: The main benefit of online training when it comes to safety and compliance is that employees can be reached everywhere, all over the world, at any time. Such virtual safety training leads to a decreased risk of on-the-job injury and accidents.
- Part IV: Product training: There are many benefits to online product training including: flexibility in terms of pace, time, location (multiple locations are possible and in different markets), convenience, and preferred device. Trained staff are more efficient and up-to-date with applicable knowledge leading to greater efficiency, productivity, and increased profits.
- Part V: Healthcare training: The benefits of elearning are: decreased costs, increased adoption speed, and compliance and tracking amongst others. ELearning can complement or even replace in-person training in many cases.
In a year full of product updates, special awards and recognition, and new collaborations, we decided to look back at 2013 as a prelude to the launch of our latest LMS, eFront V4, later this quarter. By EOY 2013 eFront had over 150000+ downloads and more than 1000+ customers worldwide – all thanks to you, our users and customers! So a big thanks from us
Check out a year at eFront in this infographic (for more details and a 2014 preview please scroll down!):
Here’s a brief look back at 2013, as we look forward to 2014!
February 2013: eFront partner CLICK&LEARN wins customer satisfaction award at LEARNTEC in Karlsruhe, Germany, one of the largest international trade fairs for Professional Learning and IT. For more read the Press Release.
March 2013: eFront V3.6.13 released with Tin Can support, several UI improvements, a WordPress integration plugin, a new introductory course, and a number of additional enhancements. For more check out this post!
May 2013: For a third consecutive year, Epignosis, global provider of Enterprise and Open Source learning management systems, was named a finalist for the eFront LMS at the Best of Elearning! 2013 Awards in the category ‘Best Open Source Solutions.’ Read the Press Release here!
July 2013: eFront sponsored the Open Source eLearning Network Event in Birmingham, England which took place on July 12 – a day of practical case studies, sharing experiences and debate. For more information: http://www.elearningnetwork.org/events/open-source. After the event Wyver solutions posted a blog post about eFront – they discuss eFront’s key stand-out features and summarize: “For straightforward, content-based online learning eFront is hard to beat.” Read the post here.
September 2013: Epignosis joined CloudBeat in San Francisco September 9-10, with the CEO participating in CloudBeat’s ‘Learning Gets Cloud Powered’ breakout session. More in this PR!
October 2013: eFront was voted in the Top 100 Tools for Learning 2013 – the results of the 7th Annual Learning Tools Survey. The list was compiled by Jane Hart from the votes of 500+ learning professionals from 48 countries worldwide. See more here.
November 2013: eFront, in collaboration with TalentLMS, releases a free eBook to download entitled “eLearning 101 – concepts, trends, applications.” The eBook covers all important and relevant concepts, trends and applications of elearning. To read more about it check out this post or just download the eBook directly!
November 2013: Epignosis Ltd., creator of eFront LMS and TalentLMS, and OpenSesame, the world’s marketplace for online training courses, announce a new partnership to connect eFront’s LMS customers to more than 22,000 online training courses through the OpenSesame marketplace. For more please see the recent Press Release.
November 2013: eFront welcomes its latest partner on-board: RM Education is a leading provider of ICT solutions to the UK Education market. Headquartered just outside Oxford they deliver everything educational establishments need to deliver technology-enabled learning. They also work with assessment bodies throughout the UK and internationally providing exam marking solutions. For more please visit their website http://www.rm.com/home
April 2014: eFront to release eFront LMS V4, a major eFront upgrade that brings support for Instructor Led Training.
What 2014 will bring:
Exciting plans regarding eFront LMS:
In April of this year eFront is set to release eFront LMS V4, a major eFront upgrade that brings support for Instructor Led Training. It also brings a number of important improvements such as the following:
- Extensive support for Instructor Led Training (Classroom courses with start-end date, Sessions, Waitlists, Express-interest and related Audiences, Locations)
- Revamped Curriculums (Rules & order between Curriculum courses, Completion criteria & Prices)
- Revamped Ecommerce (Support for Paypal Pro, Contracts, Approvals, Group Accounts, Price tracks, Cancellations)
- Revamped Course Catalog (each course can have an image, filters/search based on a number of criteria)
- Introduction of Audiences (dynamic groups based on rules)
- Revamped Interface – All fluid interface to fit any device and screen & scalable images to look crisp on retina screens
- Revamped Internals – moved to JQuery, Bootstrap and Gettext translations, rewritten Notifications & Calendar
- Revamped content editor – simplified and expanded editor based on TalentLMS experience
With this upgrade we will integrate several key new elements and combine them with architectural changes (without persisting on compatibility with aging browsers or retaining former eFront architecture). eFront 4 will be based on clean MVC architecture. The interface will also move from Prototype to Jquery which reduces the complexity for several end-user tasks. All in all eFront will get a new, more polished look with a better and more consistent UI, and processes will be simplified. For more on eFront V4 check out the eFront V4 blueprint outline on our wiki.
Do you want to make your content more appealing and interactive? You can enrich it by adding videos to your units! There are two ways you can do this:
- Upload your videos to the lesson’s file manager. While editing the unit place the mouse where you want to insert the video. Open the file manager, search for the video you want to add and simply click on the blue arrow: The video is now inserted and you can change its dimensions by dragging its edges. Continue reading
We love having fun with infographics so the eFront team put together an infographic on LMS demographics with data collected over a two year period!
Here are some highlights:
1. Regarding global interest, LMSs still dominate in English speaking countries with interest from parts of Asia and, surprisingly, Europe lagging behind.
2. The LMS is still largely considered a solution for educational institutes however corporate usage is catching up!
3. More than 50% of institutions prefer to host their LMS internally and small installations dominate. Continue reading
We recently had the pleasure of speaking with Epignosis eFront customer Mentor Graphics. With headquarters located in Oregon, Mentor Graphics Corporation is a world leader in electronic hardware and software design solutions, providing products, consulting services and award-winning support for the world’s most successful electronic, semiconductor and systems companies. Established in 1981, the company reported revenues in the last fiscal year of nearly $1,090 million.
Their objective was to ensure that all technical staff were up-to-date and trained with the latest knowledge and practices in order provide the best technical advice on the capabilities of tools to customers. Mentor benchmarked eFront against several leading LMSs and in the end chose eFront as the best value solution for their specific requirements.
“eFront rated best in several categories including the support we received from the Epignosis team during our evaluation and the hosted plan (up to 500 users) which was selected as best value.”
Read the customer case study here: Continue reading
Tests are one of the most interesting and significant parts of the training procedure. Especially in elearning they have a very crucial role in the user’s evaluation.
Let’s see what options you have to create your tests in eFront.
First let’s enter a lesson as a trainer and move to the ‘Tests’ option. The first thing you need to do is to add questions to your lesson. There are several types of questions supported so you have to select those that suit your training needs.
Below is an extract from the original post on the Centre for Learning & Performance Technologies blog
Vote for the Top 100 Tools for Learning 2013
The annual Top 100 Tools for Learning list has become very popular. The 2011 list has now been viewed over 880,000 times (on Slideshare), and the 2012 list over 550,000 times (on Slideshare). The list was also cited in KPCB’s 2013 Internet Trends presentation (viewed over 2.3 million times)
Voting for the Top 100 Tools for Learning 2013 – the 7th Annual Survey – is currently underway. The list will be compiled from the votes of learning professionals worldwide.
Voting closes at midnight GMT on Friday 27 September 2013, and the Top 100 Tools list will be revealed on Monday 30 September 2013. Continue reading